Friday, December 17, 2010

Gift from my student


Yesterday I picked up my 11 year old student, Allen C., and drove him to the Community Learning Center where we do our tutoring. I teach him reading and grammar. He is around the 3rd or 4th grade level, but very willing. He lives in a small apartment house with his 8 member family.

I brought him a little box of magic tricks and a cool 300 piece jigsaw picture puzzle. He likes those.

When he got in the car he handed me a little flashlight, about 2 inches long, with a keychain. You push a button and a bright little light comes out. He had three of these little plastic alien creatures also. He said he bought them at school that day. He was really proud of the little aliens. He said he bought the light for me. I know he didn't have any money. I didn't expect anything from him, and he was so proud to hand it to me, noting specifically it said "Dad." I didn't and still don't know what to think about that, but maybe I have become a father figure for him.

We had out tutoring lesson and then I showed him how to do some of the magic tricks. When he started to get out of the car, he stood by the door and then handed me the little plastic alien guy and said, "here you go.." I tell you I could not have been prouder of a new car than having this kid, with no money, give me one of his prize possessions. Wow!!

2 comments:

  1. Sniffling with tears in my eyes and tissue to my nose, LD. You're an awesome individual to be helping the little guy and he's an awesome individual to be working to improve his grasp on life. Love ya, Dee
    P.S. I wouldn't have selected "Anonymous" but it's my default after too much trouble with trying to select a "profile" which is required to post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi L.D.,

    Great post! I don't think I would have been able to refrain from getting out of the car and hugging him.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Alan

    ReplyDelete